Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Beak Holes

Okay, I will admit to loving hysteria as much as the next guy. When I waxed rhapsodic about the non-event tropical storm that drivelled its way across the Houston/Galveston area, even I was wont to overestimate its effect on the environs.

Look, it fucking rained for about four or five hours. That was it ladies, the whole shooting match, the whole enchilada, lock stock and fucking lot. There was no wind at all. It's not like it was a wee breezy. No. There was no wind. I pass more wind daily than that damn thing did yesterday and no one is calling my ass a tropical storm.

Thank you. I'll be here all week.

Today, in lieu of actual work, I was reading the book, Isaac's Storm, about an actual storm that blew through here in the year of our lord, 1900. That fucking thing was a monster, and we've had our share. Camille, Claudette. Galveston was practically eradicated after the 1900 storm.

Reading about the science of hurricanes is no joke. Well, reading about it I guess is as much a joke as anything really, but the science is no joke.

The world record for rainfall in a 24 hour period goes to a storm that pissed out 73 inches over Jamaica in one day. ONE DAY.

The most rain recorded for one storm total was NINE FEET in 3 days of raining.

Camille (I believe it was), the monster storm that dropped 4 feet over Alvin, Texas in a day, went packing up north and ended up dropping 3 feet of rain in Virginia after days over land. The rain was apparently so heavy that it was reported birds drowned from the water filling their upper beak holes faster than the birds could drain it.

Edouardo, you sir were a pussy.

That's right, I said 'beak holes,' got a problem with that?

3 comments:

Carlos Anaconda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carlos Anaconda said...

You ever read the Book of the Damned? It sounds like some kind of zombie book, but it actually is all about bizarre rainfalls and other things that have been reported as falling from the sky in rainfall like quantities, things like frogs, snakes, salt, rocks, it's a whole book of reports of the kind. Of course the reporters are not always the most trustworthy, but still makes for a good read. You can read it online here.

The best part is the guy's theory about how these rains are possible...

but i'm guessing you've probably read it before. Though it always makes me smile to remember this book. So thanks.

John Cramer said...

No, I haven't read it yet, but I will check it out. Thanks for the link.